Friday, April 13, 2018

DIY: Faux Brick Backsplash

Faux Brick Backsplash...this may have been one of my favorite projects to date! SO easy and makes such a huge different to any space! I've had several people ask me about how we've done this and then more recently how its held up, so he is it!

I taped just the ends of where we wanted to start and end the backsplash. The photos are not the greatest quality because when I did this project, I had a 9 month old and had to do everything after he went to bed at night! I just just a basic white paint from Behr, nothing fancy.



After that was the hardest part which was taping off the "brick" I used one inch thick tape, because that is what I had on hand. you can use what every you have. You don't have to use painters tape, I didn't. I liked this project because it didn't have to be perfect, no brick ever really looks the same.


This is what it looked liked all taped off.


After taping it off, in no rhyme or reason fashion I took joint compound and smeared it on over all of the entire surface about a half inch to an inch thick. After I starting doing this I thought "Oh no, I can't see the tape, how am I going to find all the tape to pull it all off." Once I started pulling it off it was all connected together and came off just fine.



Once you have the joint compound on the entire surface, start pulling your tape off. I did our whole area before taking the tape off but it wasn't starting to dry yet. You don't want to wait until it dries. This part is SUPER messy!!

After the compound had dried I painted over the whole area with the white paint to "seal" it.

This photo is before it dried after I had removed all the tape.


This is the kitchen today, and its held up perfect, the compound has never once chipped off. It has gotten some everyday marks on it like food and spills around the since area, but it has all wiped right off!





Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments :

Post a Comment